Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Ways to Avoid Impulse Buys

Impulse buys could quite possibly be my worst financial enemy. I am notorious for buying stupid things that I think might be funny but, after the joke, have no value to anyone in the world. For example, my newest plan is to buy motion sensor alarms and hide them around the house to scare and if I am lucky maybe even have my roommates arrested. My most significant impulse buy might be the sailboat I bought off of a friend of the family. The guy wanted less than a grand for the boat with trailer and boat insurance is pretty cheap so I pulled the trigger. After paying for the boat I realized that I had no way to tow it and even less idea how to sail it. The only way I could go out on it was if my dad went or I wanted to motor around at 0.4 knots.
To avoid similar purchases I have come up with a few safeguards:

1. Always look the cashier in the eye. NEVER LOOK AT THE COUNTER! Those things are placed there for the weak minded. Also, be advised that if you are at a liquor store in the ghetto you may want to stare at the wall, not the cashier.

2. Bring exact dollar amounts into the store, leave the rest in the car. Although this could lead to instances where you go in to get milk and bread and come out with a half pint of milk, a 3 day old sub, a pen that lights up when you write, and a bottle opener keychain.

3. Shop online. This runs the risk of turning into one of those creepy cyber dudes that can't talk to someone without using spell check and fake words like "ur" and "lol".

4. Once a month go to a dollar store and go crazy. Get your fix of noisemakers, dart guns, butcher knives and all other kinds of useless, garbage treasures.

None of these things actually helped me but maybe you will find some value in them.

No comments: