Thursday, April 06, 2006

Cutting Costs to Buy a House

When the idea of buying a house popped in my head I handled it in the same fashion as most things in my life. I blindly leapt into the market searching for houses and working on financing. I called my boy at Rock Financial and got approved for a loan then I started calling Real Estate agents. I got hooked up with a couple of ladies from Century 21 but I think they are way more into then me. Unfortunate for them I still have not signed the contract! As the reality of the situation crept in I realized owning a home would, without a doubt, cramp my life style. Once that set in I started looking for ways to lower my monthly expenses so I could buy a house and still be quasi-stupid with my money. A few things I did:

1. Sold my car to lower my payment. I sold my car for about a $2000 profit and put it down on a used truck. I financed it through GMAC finance at a 5.5% rate, which is not bad I guess, and my payment went from $334 to $263 and my insurance is $300 cheaper.

2. I looked at my Sprint bill and realized those bastards were billing me monthly for a poker game I never played - EVER. I also dropped some other garbage and saved another $15.

3. I also looked at my checking account and realized I could save $5 a month buy turning off paper statements. Since I throw them out anyway that was an easy decision.

4. I looked at my student loan account and also turned off paper delivery and that cut something like 1/4 point of my rate. Not much but it also means I don't have shred those stupid paper statements.

5. I tried to switch my beer to 30 packs of Stroh's but that is not going to work so I moved on.

In my estimation, by checking a few websites, making a phone call or two, and selling my car I am going to save over a $100 a month. Money that can be used for stupider, more foolish pursuits like buying rounds for chicks or losing my ass in blackjack.

No comments: