Thursday, March 23, 2006

Sold a used car via Internet

Ok, so I think I sold my car last night. A guy came to see it and left me a $200 deposit so at the very least I made a couple hundred bucks. I am going to clear around two grand on the sale so I am rather pleased. I just talked to the bank that owns my loan and discovered that I can not pay off the balance with my credit card. I was hoping to use my credit card so I could pick up a slew of points and getting something stupid like a toaster or new blender. Too bad.
I used Autotrader as a marketing plan and I have to say I am not real impressed. It cost $45 and I only received three calls that resulted in two visits. I think the fact I ended up selling it was just a matter of luck. If I were to do it all over again I would put in eBay first. Several people have told me that they have used eBay with great success. The idea behind eBay is not so much to sell it via auction but to attract local people. None of the people I spoke had their reserve price met but the auction resulted in a handful of emails after the auction inquiring about the car. Those emails turned into sales. You can list a car on eBay for a tiny fraction of the cost of Autotrader.com. I'm not saying Autotrader is bad necessarily but I am saying that I would go the eBay route first then if that does not workout pop for the Autotrader add.

No comments: